About Me

My photo
First and foremost I am a person of faith. As a Christian I depend on Christ every single day of my life. Having a up and running homestead type situation has been a dream of mine for a very long time. Just didnt really think I would be doing it by myself. Oh well. Anyway, it it partially up, and partially running. Let me mention that I am a single person so I will be doing this alone, sounds like an adventure. Good thing I like a challenge!!!!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

What a week!




I am so far behind, where I wanted to be on this thing that to move on with my life, will make me even more behind. I found a new blog that I love, love, love. I think it will help me alot, BUT, it is a MANLY MAN'S BLOG. It is called "Living Prepared" and he has the greatest information on the survivalist front. The thing about it that scares me is, geez, I'm a girl. I dont know the first freakin thing about guns, alternative fuel sources and such. But, I did take a hugh step for me. After being without water for a few days, man oh man, the inconvience. But this world, this country, is headed towards a state of major inconvience. So, even though, the $$$$ was a bit much, took a bite out of the projects I had planned for in the very near future, I ordered a water filtration system, canned Heirloom seeds and, a ham radio, or was it a CB, I cant remember, like I said those are manly things and I cant keep it all straight. I have just felt like it is so important to get the long term storage going and some things are too important, so they must be the priority. I already have heirloom seeds for the garden, these will be to save in long-term storage. Oh yeah, and I ordered a couple kerosene lanterns from Lehmans, with extra wicks. I sure would like to have their $1000 plus grain mill, because, I am sure it is top of the line, but, that cant happen yet. That will be my next big project, to find a reasonable priced grain mill. All in all, this blog I liked, set me back a pretty penny.




This little carpal tunnel surgery was a bit more painful than I expected. I just had them give me Tramadol because, I think I can handle a little pain, and, that was all I expected. What an idiot. It hurt like heck, especially after I fell on my arse. Yep, went running to my crying grandson because "I thought" he was hurt, which he wasnt, fell, tore a hole in my elbow and caught myself using both of my hands. Then I was the one that cried, but just for a little bit.




Okay, now, for the fun things. Next week, what I ordered for ME, ME, ME, because I wanted it, is a butter churn. Kind of pricey, probably for what it is. I could have gotten a vintage cheaper on e-bay but, I didnt want something that could be rusted out, or had been spray painted, and I expecially didnt want the little used wooden paddles, that just didnt seem sanitary to me. I ordered Lehmans Best Butter Churn, it was $139.00 or so. When it comes in, I will make butter, and post pictures. I think the grandkids will like that. The other fun thing, that should be here Monday, is the new 18 inch quilter. I sent the first one back, because I was not going to be happy with the shorter neck, so, prior to my surgery, I whipped up a few things to practice on, and even got out a couple unfinished, because they werent perfect, quilts to finish up. I decided to take on the mantra I tell my co-quilters. FINISHED IS BETTER THAN PERFECT!



2 comments:

  1. Sunflower, thank you for the kind words. I’m not sure about the manly man blog as all I do is use fact, logic and common sense when I evaluate the various situations or needs, the same thing the ‘girls’ do!

    Glad to see you taking some important steps like a water filter, a radio and now a garden. Soon you’ll have a small generator and a room full of food that will get you through your wonderful ice storms that take down power lines and provide other inconveniences.

    I’ll be stopping back often to see how you’re doing and please feel free to e-mail me if you have questions about whatever. (my e-mail address is at the top of my right hand column.)

    By the way I like your line “This world, this country, is headed towards a state of major inconvenience” that would make a good tag line for your blog!

    Later,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice look'n quilt! I wish I had the patience for making something so nice.

    Good luck and congrats on your start to a more sustainable, self-reliant and wonderful life.

    Just don't forget that there are plenty of "cheapie" ways to do things. A thousand dollar grain mill looks fancy & all I'm sure it's nice, but there are other products that are "good enough" and don't forget to check online for used equipment.

    Keep it going girl!

    ReplyDelete